Another consultation has been launched by the Government until 3rd November 2014. Having decided over the summer to introduce a ban on exclusivity clauses in zero hours contracts in due course, the Government consultation is primarily around making sure that employers do not circumvent the ban and ways to avoid them doing so.
Specifically, the Government is seeking views on:
- What the likelihood of employers avoiding a ban on exclusivity clauses might be and how that might be achieved;
- How potential avoidance could be dealt with;
- Whether the Government should do more to deal with potential avoidance, how might that be best achieved, and whether to do this alongside the ban or wait for evidence of whether such avoidance is taking place;
- Whether there should be consequences for an employer if they circumvent a ban on exclusivity clauses and, if so, what those consequences should be; and
- Whether there are any potentially negative or unintended consequences as a result of the wording of the legislation.
You can express your views and find out more about the consultation here.